There are many benefits to having a regular yoga practice. According to Dr. Nevins of the American Osteopathic Association, “The relaxation techniques incorporated in yoga can lessen chronic pain, such as lower back pain, arthritis, headaches and carpal tunnel syndrome.” Yoga can also lower blood pressure and reduce insomnia. In today’s stressful climate mental health has become a topic dominating many of the main stream news headlines. Why not take a few hours and find a class appropriate for you during National Yoga Awareness Month.
Physical benefits of yoga include:
- increased flexibility
- increased muscle strength and tone
- improved respiration, energy and vitality
- maintaining a balanced metabolism
- weight reduction
- cardio and circulatory health
- improved athletic performance
- protection from injury
If you have a child in Creative World of Montessori they are participating once a week in a 30min yoga class, and many of our Inspire teachers incorporate yoga into their preschool and toddler classrooms.
In addition to the physical benefits of yoga, research shows that yoga in schools helps children to:
- Calms and clears the mind, bringing us into the present moment
- Relieves tension and stress
- Increases concentration, focus and attention span
- Promotes thinking and memory
- Stimulates auditory processing and responsiveness
- Expands imagination and creativity
- Reduces stress and anxiety
- Improves ability to be less reactive; more mindful of thoughts, words and actions
- Balances energy (high or low)
There are many different types of yoga taught here is the Miami Valley. Studios offer everything from Gentle Yoga to Hot Power Flows, from Pranayama (breathing and relaxation) to Ab focused workouts. If you already have a regular yoga practice take a little time to share it with your family this month.
Friday, Sept 20th you and your family (age3+) are invited to join us at the Wilmington Pike, Creative World of Montessori for a Free Family Flow Yoga class. We will begin at 6:15pm and final relaxation will end at 7:15pm.